Friday, December 27, 2013

Quick catch-up


Okay- this blog is just tying up some loose ends.  I have some fun adventures to write about, but that will be next blog.  I just have to get some quick things written down to catch up.    

The end of that last Caribbean cruise was great.  We stopped at one more port called Isla Catalina, a private island in the Dominican Republic.  The ship does a really fun event called caviar in the surf where waiters stand waist deep in water serving caviar to passengers and there are all sorts of water sports like skiing, banana boats, kayaks, etc.  I used the day to enjoy the private beach away from everything and just soak in some sun, read, and blog.  It was a nice day and that night was a fun deck party called Dancing through the Decades.

One thing that has been so great about being on the Sojourn is the amount of crew activities they make available.  There is always something happening from a crew party to a movie night to an ice cream social or secret santa.  It's been great fun.  On this particular night they threw a party for the crew out on an open deck and the band was playing and invited us to sing.  It was so fun because the crew never really gets a chance to see us do what we do.  They were such a great audience and sang along with some really fun songs as we danced late into the night.  The next day one of the electricians threw an ice cream social and waffle party!  Always something.  Ha!

Our last show for that cruise was our favorite, Irish Soul, and it was our last show with that band.  We got a new band in Ft. Lauderdale and we were so sad to see those guys go.  They were such incredible musicians, but also great friends.  We got to Ft. Lauderdale and had a short day to call friends and family, do a little Christmas shopping and gear up for the Christmas cruise, which we knew would be a lot of work for our department.  It's an 18 day cruise and since we are celebrating the holidays we really try to make it a special time for the guests.  The ship got all decorated and we were preparing a Christmas show especially for the cruise.  On that first day I got quite a surprise when I received 25 pieces of mail from family and friends!  My mother knew I would need some love from home, so she definitely took care of that, sending me a paper Christmas tree to hang on my wall, and ensuring lots of Christmas cards.  It was such a fun treat!  

Our first show of the cruise went fine except an interesting moment toward the end.  One lady had *enjoyed* herself so much that she got up from her front row seat during the finale and started dancing around the stage with all of us.  ha ha!  Glad she felt comfortable enough to do it, but it was pretty funny to witness.  I'm sure the looks on all of our faces were priceless.  I also got 3 comments on those first few nights of the cruise that I look like a young Paul Newman.  I always love getting that comment, as it reminds me of my college costume designer, Gretchen, who first told me that.  

We've continued on with that cruise, doing a couple of shows, caroling throughout he halls of the ship and performing our Christmas show, which was a nice night.  It's also been really fun to have some great guest entertainers on this cruise.  It's always nice to see these specialized performers do their thing.  This cruise we had a brilliant female magician and comedian who was one of the best live personalities I've seen on stage.  She improvised and rolled with the audience better than just about anyone I've ever seen.  We also had a pianist who did a great show, but the special moment for me was when he performed some Gershwin tunes.  He has performed with symphonies all over the world and his specialty is Gershwin music.  He did great versions of "The Man I Love" and "Fascinating Rhythm," but the best was his performance of Rhapsody in Blue.  I couldn't help but get nostalgic for my 'S Wonderful family hearing that brilliant piece of music.  The last guest entertainer a couple nights ago was a physical comedian by the name of Yacov Noy.  He was quirky, imaginative, unique, and hilarious.  His show ranged from physical gags to brilliant pantomime.  He was so spot on everyone in the room could identify with pieces in his show.  It was really creative.  I loved his whimsical outlook and philosophy on life. 

Alright- next blog to come very shortly with some great ports and adventures.  Until then, 
Tripp

No comments: